Wednesday 20 February 2013

My Christmas holiday in the Cook islands 2012



On the first day of Christmas my family and I went on a plane to the Cook islands for a reunion. I was sad and happy at the same time. I was sad because my mum, dad and my two little sisters couldn't come because dad had work but I was also happy because I was going to meet new cousins.

"Off we go" said nana. I was so excited! My cousin vere was crying because she didn't want to go she wanted to stay with her mum but nana already paid for her ticket. "Bye mum" I said as I walked closer to the door with a frown on my face. Off we went flying into the air on the Virgin Australia. Three hours later we arrived in Rarotonga. The airport was packed full of holiday makers.  We stayed in Rarotonga overnight at my Auntys house and left for Mangaia, one of the 15 islands that make up the Cook Island for a family reunion on my nanas side. The Cook islands is a day behind and an hour behind so it was the 25th of December when we left, so was very strange when the day we left for Mangaia it was the 25th again, like I went back in time and had two Christmas days!

When we arrived in mangaia we all went to sleep. Our accomodation was at a School in mangaia and we all slept in class rooms. The classrooms had bugs on the ceiling and they were everywhere. One fell on my ear and one fell on my lip so i learnt to sleep with them above me.  Every day was kind of the same like we always do a devotion prayer with the other familys before breakfast and after dinner. Familys were assigned duties like dishes, cooking the food , cleaning the showers and toilets and cleaning the grounds. I wasn't given any duties to do because i was too young.


Mangaia was beautiful, we met alot of our familys from all over the world for the reunion. The reunion was mostly about our familys. They even had a geneology on where everyone was related. We also had an unveiling for our great ancestors. There was a lot of food. We had chicken, cornbeef, chopsuey, taro, mamio thats this taro dish and other food. The reunion went on for a week. We celebrated a haircutting ceremony, thats when a boy reachers a certain age and gets his hair cut and becomes a young man. We also attended a 1st birthday and some of the locals came and brought food for our family.



One morning we went on a truck ride around the whole island. We saw old graves, hills and lakes. The best part was going to the airport because you could see the waves crashing on the rocks and the birds fighting over fish because the airport was next to the sea. After that we left then we went to feed the pigs and get our things ready for bed.

One of the days on Mangaia we went to the wharf, it was really rough. Too rough for me but my uncles dived right in. I went to the waterhole next to the wharf with my sister Shoal and cousin Vere. I started to collect sea snails so my nana could eat them. GROSS! We got bored so we went home.


It was boiling hot some days and some times we had to walk to the shop to get a drink and cornchips. Whenever this happened i'd always get corntos chips. After that we went back home and had a rest. Later on in the day the bell would ring for lunch or dinner. That day we planned out who was leaving first and who was leaving last. The first ones to leave were some of my aunties, my sister Shoal and baby cousin Hyrum then the rest of us left the next day back to Rarotonga.


The last day on Mangaia we just relaxed and waited for our flight .It only takes 30mins to fly from Mangaia to Rarotonga. I enjoyed my stay in Mangaia but i was looking forward to the beaches in Rarotonga as Mangaia didn't have any beaches.

When we arrived in Rarotonga we waited for my aunty Maina and Uncle Tokana and my aunties that left first to pick us up. I was excited to see all my cousins on Rarotonga and some of my auntys and uncles who live there. In Rarotonga we mostly went to a shop called Wigmores to buy ice cream for 2 dollars and swam at the local beach. I caught up with my cousins and spoke to my auntys and uncles. We went to one of my familys the Hermans to celebrate everyone who had birthdays in December and January.

One of the days in Rarotonga my family and I went to watch my Uncle PK play soccer as he was picked to play for the Cook Island football association (CIFA). But he was injured so had to be rushed to the hospital. He was ok though.

Our stay on Rarotonga was coming to an end and I was looking forward to seeing my parents again and my two little sisters.

The day before we were leaving back to New Zealand my nana bought my cousin and I a dress to wear back to Auckland they where so pretty, I got an orange one and Vere got a blue one. My family went and did some shopping. I bought my mum a pareu and my dad a magnet and key ring and my two little sisters a dress each.

When it was time to go we all went in different cars. I was sad to leave Rarotonga but was excited to see my parents and little sisters again. I miss my family in both islands and hope to return again some day.

This was my holiday in the Cook Islands from 25th December 2012 to Jan 28th of 2013







.

13 comments:

  1. well done Khaia great holiday with your family! Love the photos too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow.. that was a really good story.. i like the way you used lots of interesting words and described what you did in details. my favourite part was when you talked about your truck ride around the island. Did your family like the presents you bought back for them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahahahahha awwwww wish we came too ,sad not rich like you guys . Haha ,anyways loved reading that .the pics are cool as well .

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Khaia,

    What a long and interesting story you have shared about your Cook Island holiday. You are so lucky to have travelled to Mangaia and Rarotonga. Sounds like you had an awesome holiday! Next time you go overseas remember to take your mum.

    from Wylma

    By the way, I love the new dress your Nana brought you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Wylma I like my pretty dress to next time I'll try and take mum.

      Delete
  6. Hi Khaia, just wanted to say i didnt cry for my mum but i know you missed your mum. I enjoyed our trip. Thanks for the cool story and cool photos.

    love Vere

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow what a great reunion and holiday you had Khaia. Was it your first trip to the Cook Islands? What is the strange looking plant you have included a photo of? Did you try a sea snail?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No its not my first time to the Cook Islands. I went there in 2007-2008 when I was 4 but to Rarotonga and Atiu another island in the Cook Islands. I have also been to Tahiti in 2010-2011. That strange plant is a pawpaw tree. I dont like pawpaw. No I didn't try sea snail thats gross Mr Marks. thank your for your comment.

      Delete
  8. awesome work khaia! loved reading about your adventures! and your photos lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Always lovely to read a childs point of view on their holiday adventure, great work Khaia :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Khaia
    its me Faafetai I really like your blog about going to the cook islands because it sounds like you had heaps of fun with your family.I hope you like my feed back.You Rock.from Faafetai

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.